Duration: 20 hours
DescriptionMany managers admit that errors in estimation are one of the most common causes for problems in software development projects. Underestimation of the project size, efforts and duration can lead to overtime, a lot of stress for all process participants, failure to meet time constraints in the execution of work, overshooting the budget, customer dissatisfaction and a loss of business standing.
However, overestimation frequently leads to a decrease in competitiveness and a loss of essential business for the company. There is just one way out - to provide estimations with a sufficient level of accuracy. But how can we achieve this?
The software development industry has accumulated practical experience in conducting estimation processes with a completely acceptable level of accuracy. Besides, there are a lot of well known approaches that allow you to:
- quickly redo your estimation in case of changes in the project;
- achieve the necessary level of accuracy even under conditions of high uncertainty related to customer requirements;
- identify potential challenges in your estimation.
This training involves a detailed analysis of these situations and their applicability under specific conditions.
During the training we will discuss the process of estimating software development projects and all related activities - problems and errors. Based on Luxoft's experience in various projects we will discuss techniques for estimating project size, efforts and duration, the main challenges of estimation and the role of metrics in estimation.
The course also provides recommendations regarding the way you should select estimation techniques based on the characteristics of the project and how you should structure your estimation process in order to achieve a high level of accuracy.
RoadmapDay 1 and 2*
Module 1. Introduction to the estimation process.
Module 2. Base of statistical indices used for estimation, with examples from Luxoft PCB.
Module 3. Expert estimation and technique by analogy.
Module 4. Use Case Points Method.
Module 5. Estimation in Agile projects.
*The modules are quite independent. If necessary, some modules can be excluded.
ObjectivesAfter the training participants will be able to:
- correctly organize the process of estimating software development projects as a sequence of interconnected activities;
- correctly select and use different techniques of project estimation;
- avoid typical errors during project estimation;
- use the obtained knowledge in practice.